Finalists announced for Lippman Kanfer Prize for Applying Jewish Wisdom
Lippman Kanfer Foundation for Living Torah has announced its Finalists for the Lippman Kanfer Prize for Applying Jewish Wisdom.
The Prize launched in June with open applications and a goal of identifying and recognizing programs that help individuals and communities access and apply Jewish wisdom in ways that enable them to live better lives and shape a better world. The foundation was overwhelmed by the positive response to the competition and recognized more than 200 Semifinalists, highlighting the incredible diversity of programs and projects that are successfully applying Jewish wisdom.
Two first prizes of $18,000 will be awarded at a ceremony during the Jewish Futures Conference on December 14, 2016 in New York, recognizing one program of national or international scope and one program that operates locally or regionally. Two additional programs in each category will receive $6,000 each.
In the Local/Regional Category:
- 24/6: A Jewish Theater Company
- B’naiture Pre-Teen Rite of Passage and Mentorship, a program of Wilderness Torah
- Hadran Alach: Bringing our Jewish Agricultural Heritage to Life, a program of the Pearlstone Center
- Jewish Enrichment Center
- Milwaukee Jewish Artists’ Laboratory at the Harry and Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center
- The S&M Bet Midrash, a collaboration between Svara: A Traditionally Radical Yeshiva and Mishkan Chicago
And in the National/International Category:
- Ask Big Questions, a program of Hillel International
- BIMA/Genesis, a program of Brandeis University
- Jewish Communities Engage Mass Incarceration, a program of T’ruah: The Rabbinic Call for Human Rights
- LaHaV, a program of Shalhevet High School
- Urban Adamah Fellowship, a program of Urban Adamah
Profiles of all Finalists and Semifinalists can be read at www.lippmankanferprize.org. The Foundation hopes this cohort of thriving and effective programs will encourage more organizations in the Jewish community to bring this approach to their work with creativity and intentionality.