Looking Forward: 2013 Nonprofit Technology Use
[Excerpted from Looking Backwards and Forwards: 2012 and 2013 Nonprofit Technology Use.]
In 2013, I think we’ll see a lot more of the following activities and thinking around nonprofit social media:
- Widespread adoption and integration of social media policies in the workplace.
- Use of graphic images everywhere. If 2012 was the year of the infographic, 2013 will be the year graphics with text are used to move people to action.
- Using social media personally on behalf of your organizations. Executive Directors, development officers, and staff will get out from behind their logos.
- Testing social media ads. Buying Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and other advertising to move people to action.
- Engagement overtaking broadcasting activities. I’ve said it for years now: it’s all about engagement. I’m finally seeing more and more examples of nonprofit organizations trying this out, and experimenting with bringing stakeholders into the conversations online.
- Development of organizational social media strategies.
- 2013 is the year that social media moves from experimentation to planning.