What Should Jewish [Camp] Fundraisers Read?
[Written with summer camp staff in mind, but of interest to all.]
Part 1 of 2
Are you new to Jewish Camp Fundraising? Here is a list compiled by JCamp 180 Mentors of the “must read” online resources for anyone involved in fundraising.
Next month, we’ll share part 2: Recommended books, conferences, and membership organizations to consider.
Have other favorite resources? Let us and your peers know about them below.
These are a few blogs and eNewsletters that JCamp 180 Mentors and Staff find the most useful.
Report on Challenges Facing Nonprofit Fundraising
- UnderDeveloped – If you can only read one thing on this list, consider this very detailed 2013 report from CompassPoint.
- Pamela Grow – Pamela Grow has a regular eNewsletter full of both her own fundraising tips and a curated list of recent fundraising articles.
- Lynne Wester – Lynne Wester (aka “DonorRelationsGuru”) – regular JCamp 180 Conference speaker – provides insights and tips on donor relations.
- Veritus Group Passionate Giving Blog – We’ve highlighted a number of the blog posts from Veritus Group over time – great insights about fundraising, particularly regarding major gifts fundraising and creating a culture of philanthropy. We recommend the white papers from this group’s website too.
- Future Fundraising Now – Jeff Brooks provides useful context to fundraising articles from a variety of sources.
- Tom Ahern – Ahern (who was a Spark Speaker at the JCamp Conference in the past) shares his fundraising insights regularly on both his website and his eNewsletter.
- Simone Joyaux – Joyaux blogs about fundraising, strategic planning, and board development. She also has spoken at the JCamp 180 Conference.
- Fundraising Coach – Marc Pitman provides simple fundraising tips on his website and via a free eNewsletter.
- The Agitator – Tom Belford and Roger Craver provide insights about fundraising best practices on their site and via an eNewsletter. Note that they now have a paywall – you can only view a limited number of their articles before being required to pay to subscribe.
- Lisa Sargent – Sargent provides tactical fundraising tips in her regular eNewsletter.
- Clairification – Claire Axelrad shares fundraising and marketing content on her website and via her eNewsletter.
- Andy Goodman’s Free-Range Thinking eNewsletter – Every month, this eNewsletter provides great case studies in communications and storytelling.
- Seth Godin – Godin’s blog provides daily tips about marketing, innovation, and simply getting things done. Often short, but usually spot on.
- Nancy Schwartz’s Getting Attention Blog – Schwartz (a #jewishcamp parent!) provides useful nonprofit marketing and communications tips and ideas.
- eJewishPhilanthropy – Site and daily eNewsletter provides news about Jewish philanthropic organizations as well as fundraising and board development articles.
- Fundraising, Technology, and Communications Resources for camps – Article from JCamp 180 Technology Program Manager Kevin Martone highlighting additional recommended resources. Focus on technology and communications.
- JData Article: Three Takes on Jewish Overnight Camp – Article from JData reviewing some recent trends in Jewish Overnight Camp, based on data collected from the field.
JCamp 180 Resources
These resources are created or curated by JCamp 180 Mentors and Staff.
- JCamp 180 Knowledge Center – JCamp 180 has organized many useful articles, resources, and samples about fundraising, board development, strategy & change, and technology/communications within our Knowledge Center.
- JCamp 180 monthly eNewsletter – JCamp 180 Mentors write and curate new articles every month. This link will bring you to the archives and also allow you to sign up to receive the monthly eNewsletter.
- JCamp 180 Facebook Page – Like us on Facebook to view daily articles and other resources we believe are relevant to Jewish Camp staff and board members.
- Camp Alumni Outreach Tumblr – Tumblr blog that includes tips and links focused on alumni outreach and engagement.
- Bonus: There is a Jewish Camps Google Group that staff and board members can use to post questions and learn from their peers.
cross-posted on the JCamp180.org Knowledge Center