In a few short weeks, LA will get a taste of Limmud: the global celebration of Jewish learning and culture.
The evening event, Limmud After Dark, also marks the official launch of Limmud North America, which will support the 20 Limmuds currently across the US and Canada, as well as the startup of new Limmud groups in the region.
An array of presenters, ranging from Emmy Award nominee Mayim Bialik, and Holocaust scholar Michael Berenbaum, to spirituality expert Sherre Hirsch, comedian Benji Lovitt, and others, will offer diverse, stimulating sessions following a rousing musical Havdalah by Hillel Tigay & Judeo.
“Limmud After Dark is our first-ever event geared to participants from across North America,” said event chair and Limmud International Advisory Council member Karen Radkowsky. “We’ve found that there’s no better way to explain Limmud than to give people a taste. This event, happening the evening prior to the GA, will give delegates a chance to experience Limmud and consider bringing it back to their own communities.”
Participants will be able to choose from a smorgasbord of sessions on Jewish themes:
- Standards of Beauty and Ugliness in Hollywood and Beyond, with Mayim Bialik
- 21st Century Antisemitism: Not Your Father’s Antisemitism, with Michael Berenbaum
- Hallways and Rooms: Navigating Life’s Transitions, with Sherre Hirsch
- What War Zone? Standup Comedy from Israel, with Benji Lovitt
- Ugly Men and Beautiful Rabbis: What is Beauty in Judaism? with Yaffa Epstein
- Sexual Repression and Obsession in the Jewish Tradition with Chaim Seidler-Feller and Doreen Seidler-Feller
- Fixing a Broken World: Jewish Humanitarianism in Action with Diana Fiedotin
- Expressing Jewish Identity Through Art, Past and Present with Hillel Smith
In another first, a few Limmud After Dark sessions will be livestreamed around the world as part of the Global Day of Jewish Learning, a partner of Limmud After Dark. Also partnering with Limmud are the Jewish Community Foundation of Los Angeles, The Jewish Federations of North America, American Jewish University, the Jewish Journal, Pardes, Hillel International, Limmud LA, The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee and The Covenant Foundation.
Further information on Limmud After Dark is available here. $20 early bird tickets may be booked online through November 7th.