Online Revenue Up; Open Rates Down in 2016, study says
Capturing information from 133 nonprofits of every size, shape, and issue area – reviewing in-depth data covering web, email, social media, digital advertising, and more, the eleventh edition of Benchmarks has been released.
The result is a comprehensive guide to the trends and tactics that are driving nonprofit online programs. Here are a few of the key notes from the 2017 Benchmarks Study:
- Online revenue grew by 14% in 2016, with email revenue growing at a significant 24%.
- Online audiences increased: web traffic was up 4%, email list sizes grew by 10%, Facebook fans increased 23%, Twitter 50%, Instagram 101%.
- Nonprofits in the Study invested more in digital ads, increasing ad spending (including paid search, display, and social media advertising) by 69%.
- Most individual email metrics went down. Open rates declined by 7% overall, for an average just under 15%. Response rates for advocacy messages declined by 17% to 1.6%. For fundraising messages, the response rate was just 0.05% – a drop of 8% from 2015.
- For every 1,000 fundraising email messages delivered, nonprofits raised $36.
Ever wondered how many people really see your Facebook posts? How your peers are allocating their digital ads budgets? How your own email, fundraising, and advocacy results stack up?