From the Blog World…
“Online media rooms, and journalists’ expectations of them, have evolved. Many nonprofit organizations now feature ‘virtual press kits,’ but an effective online press room is more than just a media kit.
Your online press room should provide what you used to include in your hard-copy press kit, and then some. Here are the top ten must-haves:
- The absolute latest news
- Downloadable photos and graphics to accompany stories
- A directory of your organization’s experts
- Succinct backgrounders and fact sheets
- Up-to-the-minute event calendars and timelines
- Guidelines on writing and reporting on your organization’s key topics or issue areas
- Audio and/or video clips
- Awards and recognition
- Recent coverage
- News feed for automatic receipt of press room updates
for more ways to catch journalists’ attention see, “10 Ways to Make Your Online Press Room Perform for Your Nonprofit” by Nancy Schwartz on her Getting Attention blog.