By Dana Wynkoop
Facebook Live is an incredible way to grow your ideal targeted audience. Facebook Live is a feature of the Facebook social network that uses the camera on a computer or mobile device to broadcast real-time video to Facebook. Broadcasters can decide who on Facebook can see their video and use this content to engage their audience during the moments and events that are important to them.
Create a Facebook Business Page and then download the Facebook app.
How to create a Facebook Business Page:
Go to facebook.com/business and click “Create a Page” on the top right-hand corner. You will have several business type options to include local business or place, brand or product, and cause or community. Select the type of business you’re creating the Facebook Page for and fill in the information and follow the prompts on the screen. The Facebook business page is completely free, and a business page will include many analytics and bonus features.
How to download the Facebook app:
Open the store, search for the Facebook app, and then click “Get.” The app will then be downloaded and installed automatically.
Log into your business page app and go to widescreen. Use a desk tripod and phone mount to include a microphone.
You will see a “Live” button at the top of your page. Just click, and you will be live! To know you are live you will see a red “Live” icon at the top of your screen.
Additionally, you will see an X at the upper left-hand side of the screen: click to end the broadcast. On the right-hand side of the screen, there is a two-arrow icon; you can use to turn the camera around to face away.
- Make sure the privacy setting is set to who you want to see the broadcast.
- Create a compelling title to draw in viewers.
- Have an effective “hook” that grabs the audience’s attention. Establish your authority to let the viewers know why they should listen to you. Include your name, title and what you do.
- Prepare content that delivers added value. What are the viewers going to get from watching the broadcast?
- Encourage engagement by asking the viewers to click, like, share and tag.
- Call to Comment – Ask the viewers to leave a comment and to include where they are watching from.
- Include a “call to action.” What do you want the viewers to do?
- Broadcast are best between 15 and 18 minutes in length to optimize the audience’s attention.
- After the live broadcast is completed, you will want to link the broadcast to all social media, email list and webpages.
- Consider changing the thumbnail graphics and the title to optimize views.
Video marketing is a highly effective way to grow any organization, and Facebook Live is currently the most popular platform for live-streaming video. Facebook Live gives you a chance to show there are real, caring humans behind your organization, which in turn builds trust and leads to stronger and longer relationships.
Dana Wynkoop lives in Los Angeles and has worked in nonprofit on and off since 2003.