AJWS Releases 2nd edition of Global Justice Haggadah
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) has published the second edition of the AJWS Global Justice Haggadah, “Next Year in a Just World.” The AJWS Haggadah connects the traditional story of Passover – moving from slavery to freedom – to the responsibility of contemporary Jews to pursue justice around the world today.
Drawing from AJWS’s international humanitarian work, the “Next Year in a Just World” Haggadah is a meaningful and beautiful addition to the Seder table, including photography from around the world featuring human rights advocates working for freedom in their communities. Next Year in a Just World is a new guide for the modern Seder, including original contemporary readings on key Seder rituals – from the 4 cups to the 10 plagues to Dayenu. It also includes Hebrew text, transliteration and translation for the main highlights of the liturgy.
The volume features:
- The four cups as a four-part framework for social justice activism: awakening, solidarity, action and freedom
- Original readings on key elements of the Seder – from the 10 Plagues to the 4 Questions to Dayenu… and more
- Discussion questions for individual or group reflection
- Modern parallels to the Passover story featuring contemporary stories of people seeking freedom and pursuing human rights around the world
- Special quotes shared with AJWS from leading Jewish public figures, including Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, Chancellor Arnold Eisen of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, and actor and recording artist Mandy Patinkin
You can download the AJWS Global Justice Haggadah, “Next Year in a Just World,” at www.ajws.org/haggadah.