The Cleveland Jewish News is reporting that “Jack Mandel, a leader in Jewish philanthropy, died May 12 at age 99. Along with his brothers Morton and Joseph, Mr. Mandel started Premier Automotive Supply in a small storefront and built the business into one of the largest distributors of auto parts and electronic components in the U.S. The brothers are internationally known for their donations to support Jewish causes.
Active in many organizations, Mr. Mandel served on the national board of directors of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee and on the board of the Negev Foundation.”
He “was a longtime resident of Hollywood, Fla., where he supported Chabad of South Broward and the Broward Chai Center for 30 years.”
The three brothers created the Mandel Foundation in 1953. Since then, the foundation’s footprint has grown to include the Mandel Center for Nonprofit Organizations and the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences at Case Western University; the Mandel Center for the Humanities and the Mandel Center for Studies in Jewish Education at Brandeis University; the Mandel Center for Excellence in Leadership and Management (at the then UJC) and the Mandel Center for Jewish Education at the Jewish Community Centers of North America; and the Mandel Leadership Institute, the Mandel Center for Leadership in the Negev and the Mandel Center for the Humanities at The Hebrew University, all in Israel.
The Mandel brothers helped fund the Jewish Federation of Cleveland’s new offices in Beachwood, Ohio, and Jack served as a life trustee of the Federation.
A memorial service will be held at The Temple-Tifereth Israel, 26000 Shaker Blvd., Beachwood, Ohio, on Sunday, May 15 at 4 p.m.